Release's MP Briefing Paper for the Parliamentary debate on 'Tackling drug crime in local communities' – 20th April, 2022 (Westminster). This briefing discusses how to effectively tackle ‘drug crime’ in local communities, focusing on reducing both: (1) drug crime (possession and supply offences); and (2) drug-related crime.
The paper addresses:
- Ending criminal sanctions for drug possession
- Establishing Overdose Prevention Centres (OPCs)
- Focusing on social and economic policies to reduce young people’s involvement in drug supply
- Recognising the inflated scale of drug-related crime
- Expanding Heroin-Assisted Treatment (HAT) clinics and medical safe supply