Release's briefing paper for upcoming Parliamentary debate on the Misuse of Drugs Act (1971) - 17th June, 2021.
The briefing paper addresses:
- 50 years of UK drug policy failure (with the 27th May, 2021 marking the 50th anniversary of the MDA).
- Misallocation of public spending towards drug law enforcement at the expense of public health budgets
- Barriers to the implementation, and expansion, of life-saving harm reduction interventions in the UK
- Reform possible within the current legislative framework
- Evidence to support the ending of criminal sanctions for drug possession