Bilingual (Russian/English) Communications Consultant
Duration: 6 months, part-time (3 days per week)
Hours: 21 hours per week
Location: Can work remotely if not based in London.
Salary: USD$40,000 pro rata
Start date: As soon as posible
Job Profile: We are looking for a creative and resourceful individual to work with our organisation in order to source and produce consistent and high quality news coverage of drug policy and harm reduction-related issues for the Russian language section of Release’s online platform, TalkingDrugs. The content will have a particular focus on the East Europe and Central Asia (EECA) region, thus the role will involve working with partners based there to ensure their issues are highlighted and the content produced reaches the desired audiences.
In addition, the successful applicant will forge cross-publication agreements with prominent, liberal-minded Russian language online platforms, and occasionally produce articles in English on drug policy and harm reduction issues from the EECA region.
The ideal candidate will have an active interest in drug policy and harm reduction, and will also require strong interpersonal skills and the ability to take a practical and hands-on approach. They will need to co-ordinate their own work and require excellent written and verbal communications skills, ensuring that materials produced for the website are vibrant, accessible and engaging. Knowledge of the political complexities of the region and the ability to handle sensitive information and maintain it in the strictest confidence is essential.
The Communications Consultant will work closely with the Policy and Communications Manager. Responsibilities will include:
- Researching Russian-language content (news sources, government releases, and reports) to keep abreast of drug policy and harm reduction developments in the region.
- Pitching article ideas and producing content for TalkingDrugs in Russian and occasionally English.
- Produce press summaries of Russian-language news on drug policy and harm reduction.
- Helping to redesign the Russian section of TalkingDrugs.
- Translating English content into Russian, and vice versa.
- Liaising with NGO organisations in Russia and Eastern Europe to facilitate partnerships and ensure mutual content promotion.
- Devising and executing a strategic online dissemination and promotion plan for TalkingDrugs’ Russian content.
- Fluency in both written and spoken Russian.
- Excellent writing/editing skills in both languages, with a high level of attention to detail.
- Strong knowledge of drug policy and harm reduction in Russia and Eastern Europe highly desirable, along with a commitment to policy reform.
- Existing contacts with drug policy and harm reduction organisations/individuals working in the region desirable.
- Ability to take initiative and work independently.
- Ability to work in a deadline-driven environment, adapt and prioritise tasks.
- Ability to handle sensitive information in strict confidence.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Experience in online editing and with using Drupal CMS desirable.
- Experience using social media tools and platforms.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office packages.
Note: This is a consultancy contract, not a contract for employment.
If you require more information about the position before applying than you can contact the Policy and Communications Manager, Edward Fox, (email@example.com or telephone 0207 324 2978) for an informal discussion.
Applications for the position must include a CV and a cover letter, the latter no longer than 1.5 pages, and are to be received by 5.00pm GMT on Monday May 2, 2016. These should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org (attachments should be clearly denoted with the applicant's name and should not collectively exceed 5MB). Applications can also be sent to our office located at 124-128 City Road, London, EC1V 2NJ.